FGE’s participation in the European Climate Pact
Fundación Galicia Europa was one of the first European entities to join the European Green Deal. It accords with Galicia’s climate compromise, as it’s been one of the pioneer regions in Europe.
In December 2020, the European Commission launched the European Climate Pact , an initiative under the European Green Deal that aims to bring together local and regional authorities, industry and civil society to exchange information and facilitate the understanding and involvement of citizens in the European Green Deal.
Joining the European Climate Pact, Fundación Galicia Europa promotes activities such as the promotion of information, training and awareness-raising on the objectives of the European Green Deal. In this way, FGE ratifies its commitment to contribute to the objectives of the European Climate Pact and undertakes to share with the European Commission our progress in this area.
FGE exercises its commitment with the following activities:
- Since September 2020, we’ve organized more than 30 online events on the European Green Pact under the name “FGE | Next Generation Galicia”. More than 100 representatives of the Xunta de Galicia have already participated, of which 50 did attend these meetings more than once.
- Specific training, through “TecEuropa”, in the field of the european Green Deal and ecological transition. Through this period, more than 200 people have already been trained. TecEuropa is a training course on EU funding aimed at Galician project managers. All editions of TecEuropa include a training session on the European Green Deal.
- Promotion of new models of sustainable tourism in the region of Galicia, with special attention to the Way of Santiago, by raising awareness among Galician citizens about the possibilities of advancing towards sustainable tourism. We’ve conducted two training courses in sustainable tourism that gathered more than 100 participants. In addition, the FGE brought the Galician perspective of sustainable tourism to the European Committee of the Regions, supporting the Galician representative of the CoR in promoting the Way of Santiago.
- Cooperation with youth associations to promote green values. An example is the promotion through our social media profiles of “A Tree for Europe” (in Spanish, Un Árbol Por Europa), a campaign of the Spanish association “Equipo Europa”. We achieved that more than 10 Galician municipalities joined the campaign.
- Organization of side events (climate action activities, training courses, exhibitions, conferences) to raise awareness of the European Green Deal. For example, in July 2021, the FGE organized a traveling exhibition on the European Green Deal in Santiago de Compostela.
- Promotion of the “Count us in” platform, through the publication of tips related to the reduction of greenhouse gases in concrete day-to-day actions. 36 “climate tips” were posted in total.
- Promotion of the coordination of the Galician government in the initiative of the Covenant of Mayors, as well as in the Alianza Galega polo Clima de Galicia (in English, Galician Alliance for the Climate of Galicia), with the aim is of inform the citizenship about the Covenant of Mayors through different channels (TecEuropa, “FGE | Next Generation Galicia” meetings, social media, etc.).
- In the context of the Conference on the Future of Europe, organization of events on the European Green Deal aimed at young people.